16He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. 17The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written: 18“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, 19to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” 20Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, 21and he began by saying to them, “Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” 22All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips. “Isn’t this Joseph’s son?” they asked.
- Jesus applied five Old Testament promises to his mission on earth (vv18-19). Which of them can you identify with the most?
- Poverty (downtrodden, underprivileged): to receive hope and dignity
- Imprisonment (physically, psychologically or politically captive): to receive freedom from bondage
- Blindness (physical disability often meaning spiritual darkness): to receive new sight to recognize God’s perspective and new life
- Oppression (political and economic disadvantage): to receive release and new freedom from forces holding you down
- Debt (every 50 years all debts were cancelled): to receive the Jubilee Year’s release from debt of every sort.
- Read the above list slowly. Recall your situations before and after receiving Christ. Meditate on Jesus’ salvation for you.
- Give God thanks for all the things He’s done in you.
Suggestion for Family Devotional Time: Jesus became well known as he taught and healed people throughout the area. Discuss what Jesus said about his purposes on earth. Ask, “What does Jesus’ healing the sick tell us about his care for people?” How can we help people and be like Jesus?
Prayer & Journaling: On your prayer journal, as you listen to God, write down a few thoughts, questions, words, names, drawings, or anything that has come to your mind during this time.
Proverbs for Today 6:32-35
32 He who commits adultery lacks sense; he who does it destroys himself. 33 He will get wounds and dishonor, and his disgrace will not be wiped away. 34 For jealousy makes a man furious, and he will not spare when he takes revenge. 35 He will accept no compensation; he will refuse though you multiply gifts.